Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Which way to da beach?

Yesterday we went to Lovegrass Farms in Dunstaffnage, PEI. It is a home-based nursery where they sell...what else, ornamental grasses. It is a 5 acre farm with about an acre or so planted with rows of ornamental grasses, lavenders and many perennials. Next time I go, I'll take my camera because it is quite amazing although things are just starting to pop their head out of the ground. I suspect during the summer it is a sight to be seen. The owner, Paulette, was very helpful and between the SF and I attempting to swat away the flies, she educated us on a couple of growing secrets used by farmers here on PEI. Tips, specific to PEI's famous red dirt...uh...soil? We did notice that she had broken mussel shells spread throughout but she also had this "stuff" she was using as mulch. At first we both thought it was shredded paper but we were definitely wrong. It is something called "eel grass" and she collects it from the beaches. When the SF asked where she collects it, she coyly told him it would no longer be a secret if she shared it with him and we all busted out laughing.

Never to be deterred from a challenge, after dinner tonight we hopped in the car and drove a kilometer or so down the road and hit the beach where we found an unending supply of our own.....EEL GRASS!!! We filled a couple of containers and bags and then walked the beach.

So T, since we were at the beach I took some pics for you!!





I'm still pinching myself that all of this is just minutes from our home!



I'll have to send Paulette an email to tell her we found our own secret stash!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the pics they are so beautiful. definitely the right choice if you were to ask me. oh i think you did. haha

    in tofino there is a law that you cannot remove anything from the beach. i wonder if the SF is aware of that law in PEI?

    inquiring mounties want to know

    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...you might have a point there but considering CBC just did a story the other night on 2 girls who have started their own business selling seashells they have picked up from the beach, and have already made $20k, I think we are safe. But I'll have him check;)

    ReplyDelete