Monday, May 31, 2010

If I Should Die Today Someone Call the Cops!

I started my day off with my NEW regular routine....Breakfast. I boiled the kettle to make my daily oatmeal, mixed it up, then microwaved it for a further 30 seconds and sat down to enjoy. I took my first bite and recognized that something tasted off. As some of you might remember, I have minimal sense of smell which also affects my taste. It sometimes takes several bites of something before I get the full flavour, almost like the flavour eventually builds before I get the full effect. Put it this way, I have been known to eat a few things that were "off". I have also been known to burn a multitude of things, whether toasted, broiled, baked or fried. The name of the game for me is pay attention, or more importantly, do not get distracted.

Back to breakfast, so I move on for a second bite and I'm still sensing some nastiness to my bowl of goodness. I give it one last go and, true to form, the flavour is building but NOT in a good direction. That's it. Down the garburator it goes. I settled for a piece of potato bread instead.
Next I slice some melon but either it was picked way to early or my taste buds are still suffering the indignity of that oatmeal. I was considering taking the whole box back to the grocery store as it was a brand new box.

When the SF comes back inside from tending his flock, I relay my breakfast horror to him. Unimpressed. Time goes by and about 20 minutes later, he is prepping his own breakfast. Then he picks up the kettle and says, "I wonder how this worked?" And then the light bulb goes off...FOR BOTH OF US!

Yesterday afternoon, when he was making himself some tea, the kettle was making all kinds of disgusting noises. Pops and crackles. Scale! We have pretty serious minerals in our water which clog up kettles and coffee makers. We discuss what we have simultaneously investigated. Before you go to bed you fill the kettle with a combination of vinegar and water, allow it to boil and then leave it to sit overnight. In the morning, rinse and it should be good to go. Problem was that it was too early in the day to set it up as the SF is also an evening teetotaller. So we put it off.

Funnily enough, as I went to boil the kettle to make my oatmeal, I had an "Oh Yeah" moment. We forget to try out the scale removing technique. Well, apparently didn't! The SF, never one to forget a task on the "to do" list, diligently prepared the kettle.

All I'm saying is, give the old girl a heads up, will ya? Either that or it is one more reminder, never doubt your husband's abilities. At least I know I won't have any scale in MY pipes. Or wait. Will I? Will the scale I ate lodge in my innards? So people be forewarned, if I should croak tonight, someone call the cops. My husband has tried to do me in.

1 comment: