Friday, April 16, 2010

339 hours - Which do you prefer, rocks in your dirt or dirt in your rocks?

Since we are supposed to be getting snow tonight – seriously – I decided to weed out the flower beds from, yes, I’ll say it, The Enchanted Garden while the Silver Fox raked out the culvert. My decision to weed was also an opportunity to use some of my Christmas presents for the first time.

I tried to start at the bed closest to the house but quickly realized it was pretty cold in the shade. As I’m writing is only +2 Celsius / 35 Fahrenheit and it was much cooler this morning. I retreated to a bed that was catching some rays. Ernie lasted all of five minutes before he ran for the house. The wind was pretty strong and I think he figured it was going to carry him away.
I spent 3 hours out there and got 2 of 3 beds done. I must have picked out 1,000 rocks from the flower beds. I discovered as I was going along that it seemed to be a battle between keeping the rocks out of the flower bed or the mulch out of the rocks and wonder if this is a losing battle. I’m not sure which is worse.

Here are my before and afters... (Sorry there is only one. I took one of the shady garden and of course, didn't weed it.)



AFTER ...and while I know it doesn't look much different, believe me, there is an improvement, like....we took the Christmas lights out of the tree. Better late than never.




Garden Tools:)


As for my garden tools, my top two were the Tub Trugs and the Foxgloves garden gloves. Since I was down on my hands and knees weeding, the tub trug was simple to pull through the garden as I moved along and fill with weeds. Since I received three of them, I kept my collection of garden tools and my camera in one and my compostables, which included a few snails, in the other. I would rake up the garden and lay a tub trug on its side, fill it and either dump it in the composter or in my wheel barrow. The tub trug, even when full, is light enough that it doesn’t cause any back strain, which is phenomenal for someone like myself who deals with a chronic back pain. Did you notice I didn’t mention what I used the third one for? That’s because it’s in my craft room, filled with knitting needles! Another note on the tub trugs...not sure what is up with the label inside the tub trug. Does this mean it is okay for you to carry a baby inside your tub trug?

The Foxgloves grip garden gloves live up to their advertisement. They are snug fitting so there is no way for dirt to find its way in through the cuff. They move with your hands and at the same time are exceedingly breathable. They are extremely comfortable and kept my hands warm in the frigid wind. They have silicone grips on the palm and fingers thus allowing for increased dexterity.

The EZ Digger is, I think, based on the Korean or Japanese Hoe, touted as the “it” tool for carefree weeding, digging holes, loosening soil and opening and closing rows. I suspect once you get the hang of it, it will simplify matters. I was successful using the long handled version which saves my achy back but not so much with the hand-held version. My only complaint for this and my new clippers....they are made for right handed people. Don’t get me started on the discrimination and limitations us lefties feel, besides husbands making fun of us for being slightly uncoordinated.

After completing the two beds I moved inside for a bit of knitting then it was bath time for you know who....


Once he was fluffed and folded, it was time to make dinner, sit, eat, and discuss our progress on the to-do list. As I was bathing Ernie, the Silver Fox was outside painting flowerboxes (I’ll fill you in on those tomorrow).


Oh, and as the weatherman promised, the snow is making a pathetic attempt at a comeback. Fingers crossed it doesn’t succeed because we are going to a Home and Garden Show tomorrow in Crapaud.

No comments:

Post a Comment