Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I've been duped!

Do I have a sign on my head that says stupid? Or does it read gullible? Ev kept attempting to convince me that we really needed to buy a utility trailer. He appealed to the gardener in me saying it would be great for picking up dirt, picking up plants and hauling landscaping material. He appealed to the enviromentally conscious side of me - well not as EC as my mother who would drive you all around the bend when it comes to recycling, but she's trying to save the planet for her grandkids, you know! Anyway, it would be great for taking in recycling, he said. Then he appealed to my frugal side...okay, cheap side, convincing me it would be phenomenal for hauling firewood. Um, did I mention we have a propane fireplace? It still wasn't enough to win me over. But then he said, we would need it to make the drive from Edmonton to PEI. With the dogs, their crates, our suitcases, he explained, it would be an absolute necessity. So, I relented. I secretly was itemizing the shopping I was going to do along the way. Visions of boxes and boxes of wool entered my mind. Not to mention, all of the household items we need to replace.

When my parents were in Vancouver this Spring, they were kind enough to pick a brand new one up. Then when we were out for the month of May, Ev & my Dad spent countless hours designing and manufacturing a box for it. After numerous amendments, they completed their labour of love and we towed it back to Edmonton where it is stored. We have been down to see it a couple of times and I swear there is a glint in Ev's eye every time he looks at it.

So we get home and as we are nearing our househunting trip and start excitedly planning our route, Ev takes the opportunity to inform me that not only are we NOT allowed to bring the four suitcases plus 200 extra pounds of weight we are entitled under policy to bring, but that I am ONLY allowed to bring one suitcase! He says it's because he's afraid it will mechanically challenge our vehicle and that our Edge doesn't have the towing capacity to pull too much weight. Needless to say I was quite upset and as time passed it finally dawned on me....I'VE BEEN DUPED! He got me hook, line and sinker! He got what he wanted and I have a virtually empty trailer being towed across the country. The box shall be in pristine condition once it arrives because it will barely be used!

No comments:

Post a Comment