Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rained Out.

I thought I should update you. It has been raining here for what seems like weeks, and there is not much going on. If we get an hour or so of yard work done each day, I would be surprised, so I haven't had much to report on. You know, you would think, being a Vancouver girl, that I would be used to rain but this weather is truly for the birds. It seems to be neverending and giving me the "blahs".

I will share with you a trip we made to the beach the other day. A little background. Every time I look out the bedroom window and the tide is out, there are dozens of people scouring the ocean floor with buckets in shovels and buckets in-hand. We kept talking about heading down there to see what everyone was up to so one night, when we had a break in the weather, the three of us put on our rubber boots - well two of us did - and walked down to the beach with a tub trug and a hoe of our own to pretend like we knew what we were going to do. Problem was, we didn't actually know what we were supposed to look for. I remember as a child, going to Salt Spring Island in BC with a childhood friend, we would go looking for geoduck and I recall her telling me to dig wherever there was "spit" shooting out of the sand. So that's what we did. Look at the Old Silver Fox go....

The SF was told that once the tide is out, you go out as far as you can and when the tide starts coming back in, that's the place to look for them. Well, that meant wading through numerous tide pools and while his old faithful boots held up well, my more fashionable ones...
DID NOT! Too short and I discovered, despite being only 6 months old, that they had split right where the front of my foot and my leg connect so I had an entire boot full of water. Good thing it was bathwater warm.
The SF was also told to look for eyes and tongues? WTF? Eventually, my eyes caught what appeared to be a pair of beady little eyes floating on the surface of the wet sand so I yelled at the SF, "DIG!!!!" Sure enough....
NOW we know what he meant by TONGUE! Narsty! Can you imagine? We had a bowl of these in our fridge with tongues flailing around. It creeps me out just thinking about it!
Of course, it wouldn't be a day at work without the supervisor there to ensure we are meeting the Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans 4-inch requirement. Imagine his surprise when he licked it and it licked him right back.
We ran across numerous land locked......
And we also found this friendly little fella.
Well maybe not so friendly. Appears he's giving us the one finger salute before he dug back into the sand.

That's about it for now but big news is coming our way tomorrow or the day after. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. mmm Bar Clams! I hope you made chowder... Yum!

    When we were kids dad used to take and wash of a clam or two, and then sprinkle salt over the edge where the shells meet... the Clams HATE this and stick their huge "tongues" out to try and wipe it off! (try it, it's quite amusing!)

    ReplyDelete