Monday, June 21, 2010

It's Raining Squirrels.

Yesterday I was walking around my garden, doing something odd. Not unusual for me. While I tend to be somewhat disorganized about many things in my life, I am known, from time to time, to be a bit anal about others. Talk to the SF. When he sees me in a tizzy organizing something or better yet, creating a complicated spreadsheet, he refers to me, actually, he sings to me "Mon-i-ca, Mon-i-ca". The reference, for those that aren't familiar, is to the character Monica on the TV show, FRIENDS. She was notoriously organized verging on obsessive-compulsive and would turn into a crazy unstable woman if anyone so much as touched her insanely systematized possessions.

So what was I doing in the garden? I was walking around The Enchanted Garden, carrying Ernie in one hand and my digital recorder in the other, naming off the plants that I have added into my garden this year. The reason? So I could make a spreadsheet, of course! I figured it was safe to do it while the SF is out of town. You know, free of ridicule, and all. I'm sure any passers-by probably thought I was nuts, chatting to my dog. Or worse yet, talking to myself.

As I paused underneath the large Mountain Ash in my shade garden, naming off things like Monkshood, Tradescantia, Baptista, what should appear to fall out of the sky....a squirrel. Right in front of us. It scared the living crap out of us. Actually, I'm not sure who was more shocked, the squirrel or me. The poor thing hit the ground with a thud, shook it off and high-tailed it back up the tree. Once I swallowed my heart, which was sitting in my throat, I had a good chuckle. Ernie...oblivious to the entire event. But what's new?

No comments:

Post a Comment