Monday, October 5, 2009

You know when you comment out loud, we should hide a spare key outside somewhere....just in case!

Well you should heed your own advice...or at least I should.

It is pouring rain today bringing back fond memories of rainy days in Vancouver. Ev has a split shift as he had to go in for a course so he left at about 8:15 with a "I should be back around 1:00, 1:30ish." I set to work with visions of grandeur on all of the tasks I was going to accomplish. Oh yes, I was going to blow his socks off when he got home with all of the progress I planned on making. My task today - sort out all of my clothes - which is a whole other blog topic. I had several loads of laundry to do and I was also going to make homemade Doukhobor borscht.

I went upstairs and sorted some piles of clothes, made a couple of trips downstairs to bring up the last couple of boxes and around 9:30, I headed downstairs to switch over my laundry and fold the stuff from the dryer. All the time, I kept glancing outside for a break in the weather so I could take the boys for their morning walk. I won't lie. I crossed my mind that I should just attempt to encourage Rookie to do his business in the back yard but Ev tried that yesterday, without success.

You see, when Ev first moved to North Vancouver with Rookie, some 13 years ago, his landlady, Jill, didn't want pets in her basement suite but made an exception on the condition that Rookie not do his business in her back yard. So Ev trained Rookie to not do his business in the yard and we have never been able to break him of the habit. When we moved to our second house with our pal, Portia, she was not opposed to him doing a big job in the back yard. She actually had a company that came in and cleaned up the dog poop in the yard so we decided we might save ourselves at least one long walk a day and made an attempt to break Rookie of Ev's hard training. The only problem was Rookie was more determined than us. He held it in for 4 whole days. Occassionally he would make his signature helicopter turn indicating he was about to relieve himself, only to walk away before completing the task at hand. Finally, we conceded and returned to the routine of twice daily walks.

So at 10:00, with no sign of letting up, I pull on the closest thing to a rain jacket I own. I put on my baseball hat and the boys leashes and proceed to the front door where we have the usual traffic jam while the dogs decide who is the alpha male of the day and gets the priviledge of walking out the door first. As soon as Ernie took one step out, I could see he was not amused by the prospect of walking in the deluge. I wasn't too crazy about it either and if I had to go, so did he - I nudged him out. I turned to shut the door and it didn't catch, which is something we have noticed needs adjusting. I gave it a good slam and as I go to double check it - Oh Sh#t! It's locked! What the hell am I going to do? As I stood there for a few seconds contemplating the bashing I was going to take from Ev when he did get home, I just decided to take the boys for their walk and think it through.

I could go introduce myself to a neighbour to borrow their phone. But...I don't know Ev's number at work and I certainly don't know where he is taking the course at. I know how pissed he'd be if he got pulled out of the course when it's only his 4 official day on the job. I can't sit on the deck and wait until 1:30 for him to get home. Ernie was already shivering. I could check, once we got back to see if his workshop is open. I suppose I could go on a treasure hunt in there to find what items I appear to be missing from the main house - like the drawer from an antique pot cupboard I found out there the other day that Ev swore he hadn't seen....except he'd filled it full of tools and was using it as a storage unit?! I figured I could take the dogs for a romp on the beach but Ernie was already anxious to turn around and we were not even half way through our regular routine so I turned around and headed back.

I mounted the stairs and scanned the windows with the hope that one of the windows was left partially open. No luck. I tried my hand at the sliding window on the door itself to see if it had engaged when last closed. Nope! Tried to door handle - nope, still locked. And then I gave the door a nudge. Thank God! It still hadn't engaged when I slammed it the second time. I made it in and Ev would be no wiser for knowing my idiotic mishap...that is, until he reads my blog! My secret is safe for the time being.

So...the next time you tell yourself you need to stash a key outside, somewhere safe, heed your own advice or at least call the damn locksmith and have him fix the lock on the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment