Sunday, August 30, 2009

Where did the weekend go?

So somewhere along the line I lost the weekend? It was crazy busy sorting & packing. I haven't even thought about cleaning yet. Yesterday, my little friend Sydone came over for a visit. Truthfully she wasn't interested in visiting with me, she just wanted to see the boys. Rookie doesn't have much of an attention span these days and Ernie just kept running over to me for protection. I finally put her to work sorting out my knitting needles. Christie & Jason were kind enough to have us over for supper last night which was a blessing because it meant we didn't have to cook!

Today we had the second cruise ship for the season in. This one is a Swiss ship. They are like ladybugs walking around town. They all wear these bright red, floater jackets so you can see them from a mile away. The town seemed really busy with visitors in town for the day. The craft shop opened, the school was opened, poor Ev even had to go into work because someone thought one of the guests had stolen a piece of art. Seriously, if someone can afford to go on a cruise through the Arctic, I think they could afford to purchase the carving. Turns out it was a language barrier.

Speaking of art, we have a number of famous artists in our little community. Stone carvings, hand sewn crafts and print making are the leading crafts here. If you googled Elsie Klengenberg's name, you get 514 hits. How many of us can say that? And for a little community with a population of under 400, four of the artists from Ulukhaktok have been chosen to have their art displayed at various venues during the 2010 Olympics! What an accomplishment!

Well, I've not much to babble about tonight. I need to get back to work, but knew my Dad was probably waiting for a new post! Love you Dad. Hope today went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment