Friday, April 15, 2011

PEI in 200 Days - Update 1

If there’s anything we immediately noticed about PEI, it is that you can drive five minutes in any direction and have driven through 10 different townships making it somewhat difficult to get to know the island. Can you imagine a poor police officer having to learn the names of them all? You can probably hold your breath and drive through 3 towns. Don’t believe me? Let’s track that too! I have now completed 5 weeks of my run/walk program. My run/walks are 30 minutes long and as of today, that run consisted of 25 minutes of running and 5 walking. Not bad, if I do say so myself. In these first 5 weeks, I have now run from Stratford through Wood Islands.

View Larger Map
Wood Islands, named for several small forested islands located just off of the shore of PEI, in the Northumberland Strait. Wood Islands is also the home of the Wood Islands Ferry. This ferry takes you across the Strait and lands near Pictou, Nova Scotia which is where my kin arrived when they emigrated to Canada from Scotland. (Oh! That’s another thing I should track. Documenting the McLean family tree! Maybe I’ll get on that in the winter.) Wood Islands is also the home of one of my favourite nurseries, Island Pride.

Wood Islands is the starting point for the 70 mile yard sale which takes place annually and it is exactly as it says. Hundreds of families and businesses set up yards sales along a designated route on a given weekend in the Fall. A great way to spend a couple of hours, or the weekend if you are an avid garage sale aficionado!

In my journey from Stratford to Wood Islands, I have now run through the following communities:

1. Stratford
2. Alexandra
3. Pownal
4. Waterside
5. Mt. Mellick
6. Cherry Valley
7. Vernon Bridge
8. Orwell
9. Orwell Cove
10. Lower Newton
11. Eldon
12. Mt. Buchanan
13. Pinette
14. Flat River
15. Belle River
16. Wood Islands

16 communities in 54 km! And you thought I was exaggerating?

Another couple of things that are in abundance on PEI. Lighthouses and Churches. I would have passed the Point Prim Lighthouse , as well as the Wood Islands Lighthouse along with 5 churches.

See y’all next Friday! I’ve gotta run!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. My swimming partner's husband is going to be the Chairperson of the Trans Canada Trail. How about hooking up with that or comparing your ride to the Trans Canada Trail that goes through PEI.

    Any visitors this summer?

    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Gosh Kim, keep it up and you'll have seen more of PE than I have living here most of my life! Put me to shame! My cousin's wife, who we seen last week, is a MacLean from Antigonish. You're probably cousins! God, you must be in some good shape!!

    ReplyDelete