Friday, March 26, 2010

I Am No Spring Chicken.

Any illusion that I was fooling myself with about being 20ish has quickly shattered my reality. I am no spring chicken anymore. On Wednesday I painted the living room. On Wednesday night and Thursday, I paid the price for painting the living room. AND on Thursday, I repainted the living room because I HATED the colour. My own fault. I couldn't find a colour at the store I wanted to buy my paint from. Their paint is a higher quality and generally has great coverage so you can complete your job with only one coat. So, I justified spending more on a can of paint...or two. I found a paint chip from another store that I loved, and added it to the collection of chips I have (a past time of mine...lol!....story for another day), and had the expensive store colour match it. Well, technology is not what it is advertised as. What was supposed to come out as a kind of sandy gold, a warm enveloping colour that would brighten as the sun came through the windows, turned into a taupe-beige. A nice colour but not what I was looking for and definitely not what I took to the store. Inside the store it looked off, but outside the mistake was very evident. What is it with interior lights and colours that they are so miserably off? To make matters worse, I ended up having to do two coats.

In the end, I gave the colour an honest chance. I painted one wall, then another and another and I still hated it. By the time I was done, the sun was gone so I opted to wait until the morning to make my final decision. While it wasn't unanimous (E loved the colour?!), I knew I couldn't live with it. And I am so glad I bit the bullet...stuck to my guns...whatever you want to call it, but the new colour looks great. Sunny, cheery, compliments the couches....all good things. Oh, and by the way, I actually went to the cheaper store and bought the cheaper paint and it only took one coat to cover both the original colour, which remained on the majority of the walls, and the first colour I painted. It's actually not just in my..um, our living room. Since we have an open concept, living room, kitchen, eating nook, front entrance and a common area outside of the bedrooms and bathroom, the colour will carry on throughout. I figured there are more than a dozen walls....and I am just about done.

The point to my rambling....I could barely walk after the first day of painting. When have I gotten so old? It could be from sitting on the couch for the last three years, intermittently putting myself through rigorous workout programs like P-90X. You trying progressing from a couch potato to instantly trying to run a marathon and see how your old body handles it. Anyway, after one full day of paint, countless squats and oddly angled lunges, paired with inappropriate bending at the waist, not with the knees...and of course, combine all of that with a chronic bad back, neck and a gimped up hip, all of which are under chiropractic care, and you can only imagine the agony I was in. It felt like I had done a 5 hour workout, or one hour of plyometrics. Every time I rolled over in bed, the pain would wake me up. This was a rude awakening that I am not the spry young woman I once was. Years of sports, car accidents, injuries and age have taken a sad toll on my body. I guess those grey hairs I have started to sprout are well-earned. I am no spring chicken anymore. At least I'm not as old as my brother!

Good thing that time heals all wounds. I am feeling somewhat better today, only feeling the aches in my legs when I squat, not with each step I take. And this painting project is just about done. Perhaps another day, and it will be complete and I'll be on to the next project. I'll post some pictures when it is all reassembled.

Here's the before (taken on our househunting trip)






These are the during...Sorry, the house is never pretty during,although I will tidy it up a bit after I finish blogging. A few days mess and some sore old bones goes a long way toward making a house a home.



No comments:

Post a Comment