Monday, March 21, 2011

Shock and Awe!

That's what my poor old body has been through this week.  I actually made it through my very active cardio week feeling reasonably well.  Old back, sore as usual and a wee bit of stiffness in the many muscles of my lower torso but nothing like I've felt in the past.  Remember HR when we started working out at lunch and I was so sore that I had to take the stairs down from the office one at a time because I could barely move?  That was 10 years ago so imagine what I expected to feel like now.  Apparently the hockey and squash has given me a bit of conditioning.

So, as I mentioned last post, the week was Monday-run, Tuesday-squash, Wednesday-run, Thursday-hockey, Friday-run, Saturday-squash.  Somewhere in there, I received a lecture from our dear friend T about sprinting out of the starting gate.  I assure you, while it might appear that way, I am taking things relatively slow.  When I say run, by no stretch of the imagination do I mean that I picked up and ran a mile or even a kilometre for that matter.  Nope, even I know better than that.

I have actually started, one more time, a walk/run program.  Last year, I had set a goal for myself to try and run a 5km run at some point in the year.  I never even came close.  You see, while I have slipped into many sports comfortably, running any form of distance, as an adult, as always eluded me.  The SF has always been a runner and I have always admired that about him.  What is it with runners that they make it look so effortless?  In the past, I have made numerous attempts to build up the stamina required to be a runner.  I tried to start a different run/walk program with a friend but we were never able to make our schedules jive.  I frequently went out with the SF.  Occasionally I felt like I was successfully running the Boston Marathon but more often than not, I was disappointed and I'm sure he was as well as I whined and complained and would have to stop all too often for his liking, not that he would openly admit that.

There was a time when I was back to the gym and had worked myself up to a full half hour run on the treadmill.  So impressed with myself, I asked the SF if we could head out to the Demo Forest for a run together.  We got all of our gear on, made the drive up the hill, did the appropriate stretching and off we went.  Unfortunately I came to discover, running outside is not the same as running on a treadmill.  I think I made it up that first hill, maybe 3 minutes, and I had to stop.  Who knew the treadmill does a lot of the work for you?

Then there was the time I went running with my trusty companion, Rookie.  The SF and I used to live in the most spectacular neighbourhood in North Vancouver.  Within a 5 minute run, you were deep into the trails surrounding the Capilano River.  Surrounded by massive trees, shrubbery of moss and ferns enveloping us, it was truly a sanctuary.  When I would go by myself, I really could lose myself in thought however, there was always a small element of fear in being there on my lonesome.  The eerie silence was, at times, haunting.  Actually, I think it made me run a bit quicker for fear the boogie man was hot on my trail.  But, when you had a trusty companion like Rookie to run with you, it was like having your best bud along.  No one enjoyed a run anymore than Rookie.  The nice thing was I didn't have to carry on a conversation and regulate my breathing.  I could just run.

One day, the SF decided to stay home, so Rookie and I made the jog up to Cleveland Dam to the head of the trails and then made our way along the river.  About two thirds of the way, I was running through a winding trail that switched back and forth, over and over again.  Add into that, there were inclines to tackle, stumps to clear and even a small section of rocks that you had to step up on.  Rookie and I were making good time and feeling pretty proud of ourselves.  I hopped over puddles and soft mud as we had had some rain the night before and the next thing I know, my toe catches on some tree roots protruding from the ground.  I tumble to the ground, rolling out of my fall like any professional stuntwoman might.  Stand up, check myself and realize, that I am covered in mud, head to foot.  My white long-sleeved running shirt is now covered in mud and my hair is filthy.  Rookie just stood there looking at me, tongue hanging out panting and gave me a wag of the tail when I started laughing at myself.  I think he was secretly laughing too.  There really wasn't much that I could do but get on with the run and get home.  When I walked in the backyard, the SF could do nothing but shake his head  (I am my mother's daughter.) but he did express how proud he was that I finished my run home.  Unfortunately, that was the end of that run/walk program because within an hour, my back had seized up and I was numerous weeks recovering with no hope of returning to the stamina I had slowly built up.

Anyway, life has, for one reason or the other, always gotten in my way of completing a run.  But, I am NEVER one to give up on a goal and I am determined.  This is going to be the year!  I hope you all can join in providing me some support.....or heckling, whatever you feel but I could certainly use all the help I can get.  I'll track my progress on the sidebar, if I can figure out how, so you can all see how much ground that I have actually covered.

As for this week, today's run is already behind me and it was actually fairly easy!  I love it when I surprise myself.

2 comments:

  1. You want trash talk? How bout an offer? I'm no runner... but I could do with a nice long walk - especially since the weather has turned so nice! I walked around the block tonight after work, and I'd like to be making it more of a habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh and almost cry talking about N.Van and the trails. When I go up Cap Rd I always make a point to drive by your house. Wish you were her so much, maybe I should go there. Who knows. ttl

    hugs

    t

    ReplyDelete