Sunday, February 28, 2010

Second Workshop Project

I am a huge fan of flowering vines crawling up the side of anything yet I have never stayed anywhere long enough to actually plant something and watch it spread its way upward and onward.


Amongst my favourites are clematis, wisteria, climbing roses and ornamental hops.



While I don't think it is warm enough here for wisteria, I have intended to attempt to grow a few of the others and have found the perfect place to do so. The workshop.



I have chosen this for two reasons - it pretty much gets full sun all day long and it is in direct sight of the house so no matter what window I will be looking out, I will be able to see the fruits of my labour.

Next step, building something for the plants to lean against....a trellis. Over the years, I have spent many hours in the garden centres looking at trellises, arbours, and pergolas. I've spent equally as much time dissecting them in books and magazines. And yet for all that energy, I still didn't find a trellis that truly spoke to me so I decided to build my own. Then one day I stumbled upon a photo of this:







Simple enough, right? Now to make a plan. Call me anal but I printed the picture off as large as I could and pulled out a ruler so I could measure each section to scale so I could duplicate it as best as possible, that took me about an hour. Then a trip to the home improvement store - $6 for materials. That's it! Then I set to work.

I tackled this in the workshop on my own while Ev was at work. The only part I needed his help with was the cross members because I had to rip the pieces in half on the table saw and it took two of us to tack them down afterward.

So far, this is what I've got done. I just need to complete the cross members on the second trellis and paint!


In the end, if all of my efforts fail, and for whatever reason, my plants don't grow, I can always head out to the front of our house and admire the Boston Ivy that is already established there in the Enchanted Garden. I wonder if that's why I instantly fell in love with our home....



No comments:

Post a Comment